Photography by Brianne Lee

Photography by Brianne Lee

From Italy to Ireland

Wednesday, May 21, 2014


This past week has been such a whirlwind of emotions that I feel like I’ve barely even had time to breathe!

·      Finals done.
·      Moved out of my apartment.


·      Left Florence. :(
·      Jetted off to Ireland!

I can’t even begin to process the fact that I am done with the “study” part of my time abroad. Packing up, saying final goodbyes, and departing from Florence was one of those moments you don’t want to believe is actually happening. Although it was difficult to see this part of my experience come to an end, I was beyond excited for a new round of adventures to begin.

First stop of my 3-week travel extravaganza: Ireland!


 Ireland has been on my to-go list for a long time. I’ve seen the picturesque landscape in movies and craved it. Ireland is exactly how the movies depict it. It has rolling hills, meadows with sheep, cliffs that jut out one after another. It’s windy, then it’s still, then it’s rainy, then it’s sunny. Only in Ireland can you get the four seasons within five minutes!


 Our first stop in Ireland was Galway. I think I could have stayed there for months and been content. It sits right on the sea, the locals are kind, the shops are quaint, the accents melt your heart and the pubs are well… very Irish! I don’t think I have ever fallen in love with a city as quickly as I did with Galway.



 After arriving, we met up with my friend from school, Gillian, who has been living and studying in Galway for the past semester. She graciously took us under her wing, showing us the ins and outs of the city, her favorite hangout spots and where to find the best restaurants and shops. 



On our second day in Galway, Meghan and I started the day out early by making our way to the Aran Islands. Anyone whom I've spoken to about this excursion had nothing but positive things to say. While on the ride to the island, it was pouring rain, but luck was on our side because by the time we got on the island, the sun was shining and skies were blue.



Meg and I rented bikes and spent the day exploring the island and hiking up to the massive, majestic cliffs that give you panoramic views of the island and the Atlantic.




After returning from the Aran Islands, we met up with Gillian and some of her friends at their favorite pub where we spent the night listening to live music and made friends with some locals. And as the Irish would say, great ‘craic’ (fun) was had!


My time in Galway was everything I could have hoped for and more. I think it’s safe to say that the bar is now set quite high for my remaining travels! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Studio Bri All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger