Photography by Brianne Lee

Photography by Brianne Lee

Serendipity At Its Finest

Friday, June 28, 2013


Day 6

Day 6 was a long, but ever so eventful! To kick off the morning, we took a longer than usual subway ride to the very bottom of Manhattan. From there, we had our eyes set on one thing, the magnificent bridge that stood towering before us. The Brooklyn Bridge to be exact.
 Our cameras came out without delay, and we embarked on the journey across the East River.

  


After successfully making it across without getting hit by bikers, who showed no mercy to the walkers, we made our way to Brooklyn Bridge Park; a water front area just off the bridge offering stunning views of Manhattan, Lady Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge itself.


 We stopped in the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory and treated ourselves to a scoop of their homemade ice cream.
You can probably guess what flavor I picked. Did you guess chocolate? Right you are! 
It tasted so delightful after our long walk in the summers’ heat.


One of my favorite things I discovered on the bridge and then again at the park, was the number of locks attached to the railings. I did a little research afterwards and found that couples attach these locks, actually called “Love Locks”, and throw the key into the East River so it cannot be reopened, symbolizing everlasting love.
 (Being the cheesy, romantic I am, my heart melted when I read that!)


 From the Brooklyn Bridge Park, we walked to the nearest subway (running into a film crew along the way, shooting scenes for something!), and made our way to Fort Green, where we spent the next hour checking out a local flea market. 

Not having anything planned for our evening, we decided to try our luck with Brooklyn’s TKTS booth; where they offer discounted tickets to a number of Broadway musicals. After chatting with a local guy from Brooklyn, who regularly attends musicals, about which show we should attend, we decided on Nice Work If You Can Get It
Little did we know that with the help of this local, we would end up meeting a New York icon. (But more on that later!)

Hungry and craving bagels, we headed back to Williamsburg once more. We were pleasantly surprised when we saw the streets closed off for an event called Williamsburg Walks. Real grass had been placed all along the streets, allowing people to hang out, play games and watch artists at work. We grabbed a bagel and a window seat at Bagelsmith and had fun watching all the happenings outside.

  

After bidding farewell to Brooklyn, we headed to Broadway. Nice Work If You Can Get It is a musical filled comedy and catchy jazz numbers. It's set in New York during the 1920’s, and features Matthew Broderick and Jessie Mueller as leads.


 We were both surprised at what good seats we managed to get from the TKTS booth. (Left side, floor seats, about half way back!) What Meg and I didn’t realize when we bought the tickets, was the fact that it was the shows’ closing night! This meant the audience was filled with important producers, writers, composers and family members of the cast.
 More importantly, this meant a very distinguished actress was probably in the theatre somewhere, 
considering her husband was the lead.

As the lights went down and curtains rose,
 I pushed the hope of seeing this person out of my mind and settled back to enjoy the show!

During intermission, Meg and I were walking back to our seats, when I heard a familiar voice behind me. 
I stopped in my tracks, turned around and there she was. 
Sarah Jessica Parker. Thee Sarah Jessica Parker! 


“I’m dreaming, I must be dreaming,” I thought as I pinched myself. 
I grabbed Meghan, “Look, there she is!” I stammered with excitement. 
Not sure of what to do, we inched our way back to our seats. 
“I have to go talk to her Meg. I can’t just let this opportunity go! She’s right there!” 

Meg looked a little uncertain. We had previously learned that in New York, seeing celebrities is supposed to be no big deal. Actors and actresses are respected and not bombarded with screaming fans asking for their autograph. 

Regardless, “I’m going over there!” I declared. 
“What are you going to say?” Meg replied.
 “I’m just going to introduce myself!” I said. 

And that’s exactly what I did. I grabbed Meghan, and marched right up to her, introduced myself, 
stating I was a big fan of hers and that her shows and movies were a few of the things that inspired me to come to
New York City.

 “Thank you, thank you so much!” Sarah responded sweetly, “It’s great to meet you!”  
Lights began to go down, signaling the start of the show.
 Touching my arm lightly, she smiled and told us to “have a great trip girls!”

 It’s safe to say I had trouble concentrating the second half of the show. I was completely star stuck. 
She was so soft-spoken, humble and dressed very elegantly.
After the show, we left still in disbelief that that actually happened. Meghan was practically skipping down the street!
The fact that we had gotten tickets for the show just hours before it began, 
and then met one of the most iconic New Yorkers of our time, still blows my mind. 
Serendipity was definitely on our side that night. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Studio Bri All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger